What is a dental health check?
Dental health checks are essential for early detection of potential problems and maintaining the health of your teeth and gums.
West 1 Dental Clinic will perform a thorough dental examination to check the health of your teeth, gums and tongue.
During your dental health check, we will
• Check your medical details – some medical conditions and medications have a direct and significant effect on the health of your mouth.
• Discuss any problems or concerns since your last visit – patients can often tell if something isn’t quite right so let us know.
• Examine the health of your tongue, lips and cheeks and jaw joints – oral cancer is the fourth most common cancer in the UK and is on the increase.
• Check the health and condition of each tooth – problems spotted earlier are more easily solved and cost less to maintain.
• Check your bite and look for signs of enamel erosion
• Check for any soft or hard plaque deposits – these can reduce the health of your gums, increasing the risk of dental decay and gum disease.
• Check how healthy your gums are – poor gum health has been shown to have a direct impact on many health conditions such as heart disease and diabetes.
• Ask you about your current oral health routine to see if we can offer any advice on improving your oral health.
• Check the health and condition of any existing fillings, crowns, bridges or implants – defects or ledges on these restorations can lead to gum problems or dental decay.
• Take regular x-rays at specified intervals set by professional guidelines to check between teeth, under fillings and crowns and the supporting bone structures where your dentist can’t see easily naturally.